Spiritual RX: Aura Hygiene Part II – Grounding
I’m about to go a little ‘woo woo’ and also a tiny bit sciency. But, hang with me. We will end up with a simple, basically free way to feel much better as you take care of your beautiful personal energy field (aura).
- Everything is energy and energy is everything.
- As a living creature, we are a complex organism that meshes our physical body and our emotional body and our energy body.
- Every thought, every heartbeat, every movement of every muscle is an electrical event.
- Sitting in front of the computer all day, you feel exhausted and drained.
- Sitting at the beach, or hiking you might feel tired at the end of the day, but also rejuvenated and refreshed.
It was really obvious when my kids were little guys that being in front of screens for more than an hour made them irritable and unpleasant to be around. They would bicker with each other. They would be uncharacteristically sassy to me. They were sort of unrecognizable angry creatures. In contrast, if they were at the beach for even a short while, they played together easily and came home in agreeable moods. I didn’t know the ‘why’, but I definitely understood the ‘what and where’. Outside was not just better, it was necessary to maintain family peace!
So what was going on? We exist as electrical impulses, housed in beautiful bodies of flesh and a lot of water. When we are exposed to a lot of electromagnetic fields (screens for example), it affects our electromagnetic fields (auras). Specifically, we have to manage the energy that comes at us as free radicals and oxidative, inflammatory stressors. Free radicals are neutralized with free electrons that donate or bind to the free radical. Translation: we have stressors in our daily environment that deplete our stores of natural defense and we can recharge ourselves by getting electrically grounded.
What is Grounding?
For those of us who are not electricians or engineers, grounding may be a new concept. But if you go back to your experience, you know that it feels better to get outside and connect with the natural world. Imagine your favorite outdoor space – beach, mountains, river, meadow, backyard. Being in nature is great for the 5 senses – hearing, seeing, smelling, tasting, feeling and is soothing to the nervous system. Additionally, the earth and natural world is electrically grounded and is able to ground us just by touch. We may not understand what is happening, but we can definitely feel the beneficial effects, almost immediately.
In recent human history, we have broken our connection to nature. As recently as 2 generations ago, people spent a lot more time outside and in contact with plants and animals. These days, even when we are walking outside, our feet are insulated by rubber soled shoes that block the automatic transfer of electrons that ground our systems.
Thankfully, the fix is basically free and pretty easy.
- Walk outside barefoot-grass, sand, brick, dirt are all options
- Sit on the ground and pull some weeds
- Drink your coffee leaning up against a tree
My Favorite Water-Based Grounding Activities
- Getting in the ocean and snorkeling around
- Taking a bath with salts added
- Walking barefoot on the dewy grass in the morning
- Going out in a storm (no lightening) and getting rained on
There are lots of resources and medical studies on grounding or earthing. To me the ‘why’ is not as important as the ‘what and where’. Your body needs you to take care of your electrical or energy system (aura) and the simple, fast way is to make a little time to connect to Mother Earth.
Best and Brightest Blessings